Friday, March 30, 2012

Habfürdő (The Foam Bath) Kovásznai György, 1979

HEY YOU GUYS YOUR DAILY CARTOON IS THREE YEARS OLD!

(OK, it was really three on the 14th but I forgot so I will do this on the anniversary I started the blog. Because it is my blog and I can do that.)

And just like a petulant three year old, I'm gonna post a full length Hungarian feature with no subtitles. Nyah.

I have been dying to see Habfürdő since I first ran across some blurry, poor quality clips on YouTube. I was immediately intrigued by the way that Kovásznai distorted faces and bodies to express changing moods and the characters perceptions of themselves and each other. I'm positive that I am missing a lot - unlike something like Fehérlófia the story isn't known or easy to follow, and it can be very wordy. But Kovásznai was a really fantastic animator with a unique aesthetic informed by his extensive artistic training, and on those merits I still find the film rewarding, especially since the artist communicates so well visually.

Kovásznai György was so cool his works were shown with those of the esteemed William Kentridge at The Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest last year. THAT IS SO BADASS. My head would have exploded.


Habfürdő

No comments:

Post a Comment