Friday, June 19, 2009

Fun on Mars, Sally Cruikshank, 1971

A short by the delightful Sally Cruikshank, made when.. well, here's what she says:

I made this film when I went to the San Francisco Art Institute, after graduating from Smith a semester early. It was my reaction to California. "Sweeping the Clouds Away" is sung by Charles "Buddy" Rodgers, who was Mary Pickford's husband. huh? who? The doctored photo was of an astronaut on the moon-- I thought he looked like a duck and made him one. From 1971... yikes!



A DVD of her work can be purchased on her site, which I've linked above.

2 comments:

  1. This film used to show up all the time on Nickelodeon back in the early 80's as filler between programs. That was how I first came to know of Cruikshank's work prior to the few movies she did opening titles to like Mannequin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a comment from some guy who worked at Nickelodeon in the early 1980s.

    "Sally, thank YOU for allowing this and other videos to be on YouTube. I am not sure, but I always thought the male singer on the video was Rudy Vallee when he was doing his radio show on NBC back in the 1930's. Anyway, the reason why I remember Fun On Mars being on Nickelodeon was that I worked there for awhile at thier transmission uplink in Buffalo, NY. It was used as a filler between programs as back in 80-81 Nickelodeon never ran commercial advertising; but had the mime doing the ID's too."

    ReplyDelete